Malnutrition is when your body doesn’t get sufficient nutrients from the foods you eat, and older citizens are particularly vulnerable to being malnourished. Many factors can cause malnutrition, and it is essential to determine those to address this because it can lead to several health problems, including depression, unintentional weight loss, muscle weakness, and weak immune system.
If you’re having concerns with nutrition, you can check with our home health care agency in San Diego County, California. We can provide you, along with your physician, the necessary actions to fight malnutrition. You can also check some of these steps on how we can prevent it.
- Always provide healthier food choices for your loved ones. You can buy foods that are full of nutrients, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean meats. You can also limit his or her intake of solid fats, sugars, and salt.
- You can also consider adding supplements, such as nutrition shakes to your loved one’s diet. Talk to their doctor about these options.
- Promote daily exercise to improve appetite and to keep bones and muscles strong.
- Make mealtimes and exercise a social activity. You can plan lunch for your loved ones and their friends or the whole family. Many restaurants also offer discounts for seniors.
- Advocate with your home health aide provider for coordinated nutrition education and the adoption of innovative solutions to make it easier for your loved one to follow a nutrition plan.
You may need help in making sure your loved one is eating right. We at Healthwise Home Health Care, Inc., your provider for home health care in National City, California, can provide caregivers that can help shop for your groceries and prepare meals. If you have concerns about your health or if you need assistance with your loved ones, please feel free to contact us.